Many of us get worried when we see the check engine light on and on the other hand, many people ignore it and just keep moving so is it something that we should really pay attention to?
When your check engine light in the car is on, this means that your car needs maintenance and you shouldn't ignore it at all.
The maintenance doesn't have to be such a big deal, it could be just about changing the oil and note that the best time to change the oil is after every 5000 Km although many people wait till they reach 10,000 Km and that's not good for the car.
And according to Autozone.com, the top five reasons for the check engine light to be on are:
1. Your Oxygen (O2) Sensor needs replacing
2. Gas cap is loose, damaged or missing
3. Catalytic Converter needs replacing
4. Mass Airflow Sensor needs replacing (MAF)
5. Spark Plugs or Plug Wires need replacing