Only one gas station fire has reportedly involved a cell phone, and even in that case it was later found that the phone wasn't responsible for actually starting the fire, New York Daily News reports.
Several studies have also debunked the long-time myth that cellphones might generate an electric spark that could ignite gasoline fumes.
That's theoretically possible, the FCC says, however highly improbably under normal circumstances.
Still, just to play it safe the National Fire Protection Association advises that you follow manufacturer's instructions, which may say that you should leave your phone in the car.
The FCC calls the potential for fires caused by wireless devices "very remote."