1. Beans belong to the complex carbohydrate or "Good carbs" group. Due to their chemical structure complex, carbohydrates take longer to break down and hence provide a longer lasting energy, as opposed to simple carbohydrates where the energy gets used up quickly.
2. Beans are a good source of protein and B vitamins, and they also bring good supplies of magnesium, calcium, copper, iron, zinc, potassium and phosphorus.
3. Being a complex carbohydrate they make you feel full for longer, and you'll avoid cravings.
4. They are quick and easy to prepare especially canned beans which is important when dieting.
5. As a bit of a bonus - they are the cheapest form of protein.